Context and challenges
Nowadays, many Grid Systems need to be modernized using state-of-the-art technology to improve their reliability, efficiency, security and quality of power supply. Cybersecurity is also a key issue due to interconnection between systems.
This regional energy provider in United Arab Emirates has launched a Smart Grid Program (SGP) to manage and execute a Smart Grid strategy alongside a mature and clear governance structure.
Assystem has been appointed by this electricity provider to handle the cybersecurity aspects of this Smart Grid project.
- Develop an overall cybersecurity approach for the entire Smart Grid Program
- Analyze the existing environment and provide an assessment
- Determine the cybersecurity requirements based on the NISTIR 7628 guidelines and a risk assessment for each of the SGP work streams (SA, DA, AMI, AM, ITI, Telecom and SI)
- Create a dedicated cybersecurity model for the SGP and propose all the required cybersecurity controls to be implemented
- Analyze the gap between “desired” and “current” phases
- Provide all the necessary material to technically support the tendering phase for purchasing and setting-up of a concrete solution.
The entire Smart Grid approach was new for our client. They are now confident that they have cybersecurity governance and are able to deploy this approach on all their smart projects, with knowledge of all the safety and security devices to be implemented.