Context and challenges
The purpose of the project was to build two EPR (European Pressurised Reactor) units at a nuclear power plant in England, with commissioning scheduled for 2025 and an estimated budget of €20 billion.
The client, a leader in the industrial sector, performed all the design work in its role as Responsible Designer on behalf of the organisation responsible for the construction aspects.
The goals of the project were:
- Effective management of costs and scheduling
- Effective management of contractual commitments to future operator of nuclear power plant
With these goals in mind, the client called on Assystem for a PMO mission covering the CI/BoP (Conventional Island/Balance of Plant) scope.
- Establish a 3-level integrated project schedule, including resource management (over 10,000 lines)
- Create and coordinate a monthly cycle: analysis, identification of conflicts, critical paths, assistance for resolving discrepancies in accordance with the "change" process.
- Manage and oversee the list of project deliverables (>400 deliverables/year)
- Prepare yearly financial budgets
- Monitor current and forecast costs to keep final cost up-to-date
- Prepare project teams and monthly project reporting
- Detect contractual events and lead resulting actions
- Maintain "change" logbooks for the activities
- Ability to track deviations from baseline, to obtain financial compensation from end customer and subcontractors, or to negotiate new commitments
- Enhancement of client skills to respect costs and lead times
- Improved operational efficiency and productivity through effective management of project schedule
- Identification of areas at risk