Context and challenges
This client is a leader in the chemicals sector. It has several production sites in Europe, Asia, and Saudi Arabia. The maintenance and operational activities for these sites require to control the tasks’ description of all people involved, the risks, and the mitigation measures in order to carry out tasks properly according to task type and exposure type.
For this reason, access to SEVESO industrial sites for subcontractors can’t be allowed without a prior analysis of the environment-related risks and the risks related to working in the area concerned. Once confirmed, this analysis results in a work permit the service provider must sign every time they enter or leave the site or site zone.
In the context of its “digital factory” initiative, this client wanted to dematerialise the work permit procedure, which is usually managed with paper-based procedures on industrial sites. This project is part of a broadly digitalization action and evolution in working methods to promote safety and security.
Assystem was appointed to implement a work permit dematerialisation solution that integrates a representation of the areas and their risks on a map, as well as a protective equipment reference guide to assist the user with risk analysis, real-time management of coactivity by zone on the site.
- Creation of two applications accessible to hundreds of participants:
Java/Angular web application used to configure form templates and data references, view the coactivity, and print and sign work permits.
Android native application to manage work permits remotely, online or offline. The application provides an overview of the site and can be used to sign and start work permits directly in the field.
- Use of Agile method (SCRUM mode), for better responsiveness to adapt the application solution to the needs of key users
- Creation of applications within the framework of the recommended technical architectures (AWS/Angular/Android)
- Capitalising on knowledge by centralising data, where the application constitutes an exclusive information channel
- Responsiveness of teams thanks to the consolidation of information in real time, including a view of the coactivity of sites
- Compliance with the safety requirements of this type of site thanks to automatic identification of risks and traceability of participants
- Time savings thanks to the elimination of duplicate inputs and taking advantage of feedback from the field
- Satisfied client, who has decided to deploy the application on other sites in Europe and Asia