Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
The UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies.Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management; Project Management; and Environment & Sustainability.
Working with a joint-venture consortium of leading experts in the design, construction, operation, financing and maintenance of railway networks, we have been asked to identify a Town Planner to assist in the delivery and progress of civil engineering works across a 90km section of HS2, the new high speed rail link. We specifically seek somebody with experience within Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects and a thorough understanding of the legislative requirements required under the HS2 Act or similar Act of Parliament, such as the Crossrail Act.
The Town Planner will be responsible for evaluating consents and engagement requirements under the HS2 Act and the associated Environmental Minimum Requirements to ensure that Assystem deploy a cost effective and sustainable solution to our client.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Town Planner To provide assistance and support in the following areas:
- Promotion and delivery of Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects and or other Significant infrastructure projects through primary legislation
- Planning and consenting legislation
- Statutory planning policy advice and appraisal
- Management of consents deliverables
- Consents application preparation
- Collaborative and cross disciplinary working
- Delivery of technical engagement programmes for stakeholders including local authorities, statutory and non-statutory bodies and the general public
- Stakeholder facilitation, negotiation and mediation
Skills & Experience:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive internal and external relationships at all levels.
- Good negotiation / collaboration skills to ensure full support within the framework.
- Embraces change and best practice internally and at project level.
- High levels of resilience and adaptability
- Proven ability to communicate and engage with stakeholders.
- Commercial awareness.
- 2+ years’ knowledge of delivering projects through the Town & Country Planning Act legislation
- Prior experience of delivering a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project through primary legislation advantageous
- Knowledge of other consenting regimes that may include Hybrid Bills, Development Consent Orders and Transport and Works Act Orders
- Working towards membership of Professional Body (MRTPI)
- Up to date with latest developments in Professional Competence
We place great emphasis on both written and verbal communication; those that flourish within our organisation are naturally inclined to engage with their colleagues & stakeholders alike and to be proactive in reaching out to others in overcoming hurdles.
In common with many places of work, the project seeks personnel that are professional, positive, open and honest. Additionally, the Senior Consultant will need to exhibit the following behavioural traits:
- Ability to see things differently – prepared to question standard approaches in order to manage consenting risks and programme deadlines
- Support and develop – create a local leadership team by delegation, coaching and mentoring
- Decisiveness – makes day-to-day business choices that have commercial implications, knowing when to inform others or ask for support
Town Planner, Birmingham
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.
Other vacancies might interest you
Senior Consents Engineer