Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
Corporate Risk Associates has been an Assystem owned business since 2020. We are established as one of the UK’s largest integrated Risk, Safety and Human Factors consultancies, renowned for 1st class delivery of quality services to the Critical National Infrastructure in the UK and overseas.
We have a long history of helping current nuclear operations and new build projects manage their safety and risk in the civil and defence nuclear sectors. This provides opportunities for varied project work for our staff.
CRA is one of the UK’s largest integrated Risk, Safety and Human Factors consultancies. We have a long history of helping our clients in the UK nuclear and other high hazard industries manage risk and ensure the safety of their operations. As part of the Assystem Group we also have opportunities to support a wide variety of projects around the world.
CRA recognises that our staff are our greatest asset and we strive to develop each consultant technically and professionally by providing them with the opportunities and support they need to grow and realise their potential. For more junior staff, Initial Professional Development (IPD) focuses on attaining the competencies and the range of technical experience required to achieve Chartered status with their chosen professional institution through a combination of internal and external training and project experience. For our more experienced staff, our Continued Professional Development (CPD) programme provides support to allow maintenance of existing skills and expertise, while developing new ones in complimentary areas.
We aim to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment with a healthy work-life balance and recognise the benefits that this brings to our business, our clients and our people.
Role – Safety Case Engineer:
We are currently seeking highly motivated nuclear safety consultants to join our growing team of team of safety professionals providing safety and assurance support to our clients in the UK and overseas.
Successful candidates will have experience in the provision of safety and assurance support in the nuclear sector and will be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge and understanding of safety case principles, tools and techniques.
Experience of safety assessment for waste management facilities and nuclear decommissioning sites is desirable but not essential.
Activities - Safety Case Engineer:
- The role will vary depending on the client need but typical activities will include:
- Provision of safety and assurance support and advice to clients in the civil nuclear sector, including existing generation, new build and waste and decommissioning.
- Preparation of safety case documents for a variety of applications in accordance with different clients’ safety management arrangements.
- Fulfilling the role of Author, Reviewer, Verifier of Project Manager for Safety Case Projects as required.
- Supporting the development of safety case strategies and delivery programmes.
- Identifying, specifying and managing the delivery of supporting evidence deliverables.
- Supporting clients in their internal stakeholder engagement and regulatory interactions.
- Managing projects to deliver client needs to time and budget.
- Review, verification and approval of work produced by colleagues.
- Preparation of financial estimates for projects or proposals.
- Provision of mentoring and guidance on safety case production to junior staff.
Person specification – Safety Case Engineer:
Whilst contractually located at the CRA offices in Warrington or Glasgow, the post holder will be prepared to undertake site visits of varying duration depending on the needs of each project.
The post holder should hold a current full driving licence and be eligible to apply for any security clearances deemed necessary by CRA clients.
Although working under guidance from Senior Project Managers and Technical Leads, the post holder should be capable of working unsupervised within broad guidelines. Mentoring will be provided as needed to support the development of additional technical or inter-personal skills.
Ability to produce clear, concise and well-reasoned analyses and reports, and present these findings confidently at meetings. Be able to interface and liaise with key client and internal stakeholders at all levels, taking full account of a client’s operating culture.
An adaptable self-starter with good interpersonal skills and a professional leadership approach.
A good team-player with the confidence and ability to question traditional received wisdoms, think laterally and present alternatives.
Essential Experience & Qualifications – Safety Case Engineer:
- Degree (or equivalent) in any of the following disciplines or similar – Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Physics or Mathematics.
- Experience in the development of safety case documentation for nuclear facilities, in a fit-for-purpose, proportionate manner in line with client expectations and arrangements.
- Experience in the application of deterministic and probabilistic safety assessment techniques.
- Knowledge of relevant client, industry and international safety case standards and guidance.
- Knowledge of a range of hazard identification techniques (e.g. Hazid, HAZOP, FMEA).
- Fluent in English Language.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.
Other vacancies might interest you
Senior Quality Engineer
Project Interface / Highways Consents Manager
Design Manager - Buildings