Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
The UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies.Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management; Project Management; and Environment & Sustainability.
Summary – Environmental Manager / Environmental Advisor:
Required to provide advice and support to the construction team regarding the environmental constraints and management issues on the delivery of HS2, the high-speed railway project.
You will be responsible for managing, challenging and assuring construction Environmental Minimum Requirements (EMR) compliance and ensuring these are fully integrated into construction design, site works and programme.
The role will require extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders.
Accountabilities – Environmental Manager / Environmental Advisor:
- Liaise with Environmental Substantiality core team specialists as required in order to provide advice and support for the construction team regarding the environmental constraints and HS2 and Legal requirements on all environmental topics; Ecology, Landscape, Archaeology and Built Heritage, Watercourse diversions, Water resources and flood risk, Waste, Carbon, BREEAM Contamination land, Noise & Vibration, Fencing, Land and Air Quality, Agriculture, Forestry and Soils.
- Raise awareness of key environmental issues. Identify training needs and input into site training.
- Liaise with the Enabling Works Contractor on the full range of environmental co-ordination and handover.
- Engage with sub-contractors and their environmental reps to embed environment requirements and effective implementation within their packages of work. Provide/facilitate writing of site environmental documentation.
- Investigate incidents/non-conformances and share lessons learned across the contract.
- In coordination with the EMR team, ensure that construction methodology and programme is compliant with the EMRs and the U&As via the EMR Compliance Checklist & EMR Compliance Note
- Liaise with Consent and Undertakings & Assurance (U&A) team to ensure that any compliance issues are monitored and relevant information fed back to allow discharge of environmental conditions.
- Liaise with Sub-Lot teams to gather all information needed by core team specialists or DJV for production of Dust Risk Assessments, Noise & Vibration Assessments and other environmental topic documents for Construction.
- Collaborate with all other parties as required for the discharging of the responsibilities above.
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm for their own and their reports’ activities.
- Drive environmental / sustainability improvement and ensure that opportunities are identified and realised by pre-construction / construction teams.
Experience Required – Environmental Manager / Environmental Advisor:
- 5-10 years’+ experience
- Large scale linear project experience (eg rail or highway).
- Significant experience with either a consulting engineer, main civil engineering contractor or a specialist environmental contractor.
- Experience of environmental design and mitigation
- Broad experience of all aspects of environmental design and works and impacts on 3rd Parties
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High standard of computer literacy
- Confidence and experience to challenge designs prepared by others
The following qualities/experience are desirable – Environmental Manager / Environmental Advisor:
- Qualified Environmental specialist or a related discipline is desirable; membership of a relevant professional body is advantageous
- Holding a valid CSCS card to visit sites is desirable
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.
Other vacancies might interest you
Senior Quality Engineer
Project Interface / Highways Consents Manager
Design Manager - Buildings