The UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies.
Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.
By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management; Project Management; and Environment & Sustainability.
Prior to operating as ‘Assystem Transport & Infrastructure’, our consents & engagement team were already well established in the provision of professional services and, thanks to continuing success, and with the additional opportunities offered through the Assystem network, we are in a position build on this solid foundation.
Working within the Construction Team, the Consents Engineer will support the wider Delivery and Pre-Construction Team in the production and management of the required Consents. You will develop the covering documentation for a Consents submittal while requesting, compiling and providing feedback on the required technical documentation that accompanies it. Required to liaise with the Consents core team and other relevant technical teams to provide tracking on the status of submissions.
INTERNAL: Operations Team (all levels), Consents Team, Design Team, Planning Team.
EXTERNAL: Consent Granting Bodies (CGBs), Subcontractors, Client, Design Joint Venture.
- Identify Consentable areas within a scope of works and provide support and guidance on the Consent needs to the wider Delivery team.
- Utilise information, technical reports, designs, BIM and GIS data to programme consents and ensure approval of works prior to commencement of activities.
- Review upcoming works with Core Consents Team and programmers to ensure commencement dates are achievable Develop a working understanding of the contract and technical requirements of various Consents including but not limited to Highways, Noise, Water and Ecology.
- Liaise with Core Consent Team to Track the progress of upcoming, ongoing and completed Consents in line with the project programme and provide reports on risks where appropriate.
- Provide feedback to the Planning Manager on future Consents requirements so these can be incorporated into the programme.
- Liaise with the Core Consents Team, Temporary Works, Utilities, Drainage, Logistics and Traffic Management Teams to ensure they are aware of their associated Consents responsibilities for each element of the project.
- Co-ordinate, alongside the Core Consents Team, the set-up of Early engagement, Pre-application and Consent review meetings with the relevant Consent Granting Bodies (CGB).
- Provide feedback to delivery team from engagements with CBG’s (via the Core Delivery Team) and co-ordinate the required delivery dates for supporting technical documentation.
- Work with other sublot Consent Engineers and the Core Consents team to ensure knowledge sharing and that lessons learned are cascaded through Delivery teams.
- Be fully aware of the critical path and assist in ensuring that all activities and decisions are prioritised based on the need to minimise risk.
- Actively manage own self-development – for example through participation in ICE/ CIOB activities or through ‘on-the job’ training opportunities.
- A strong communicator that can use a variety of methods when communicating with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to chair meetings, creating a collaborative platform for attendees to contribute to.
- Takes ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes.
- Manages the production of tasks, delegating and monitoring their progress.
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility.
- A willingness to learn and actively seek out information off their own accord.
- Good time management and organised.
- Very competent in data management using Microsoft Excel.
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card.
Health Safety & Environmental
- Has an appreciation for H&S hazards, risks and mitigation methods.
- Strong environmental awareness.
- Reads and understands drawings and schedules.
- Awareness and use of specification and other contract documents.
- Able to produce detailed documentation for consent applications.
- Able to report on risks/issues through a variety of methods (Reports, Dashboards etc).
- Knowledge of specification and contract documents
- Understands what constitutes additional works.
- Understands and can raise early warnings.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.
Other vacancies might interest you
Mechanical Construction Engineer
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Lead Mechanical Engineer