Waste and Characterisation Engineer
- Permanent / Engineering / Technical
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
Waste and Characterisation Engineer
Warrington / West Cumbria
To provide advice to Assystem and our customers on matters concerning management of radioactive and non-radioactive wastes including, but not limited to, the characterisation, management, production, storage, packaging and consignment of materials and waste. The role holder will be familiar with waste and facility characterisation and how this supports robust design and safe delivery of projects in both a decommissioning and operational setting.
- Provide Assystem and our customers with waste management and characterisation advice.
- Prepare waste and characterisation documentation in support of decommissioning projects that will include (but not limited to): Characterisation Status Reports, Facility & Waste Characterisation Plans, Facility & Project Waste Management Plans, Waste Inventory Management, Technical Reports and Presentations.
- Possess a working knowledge of the UK regulatory framework for waste and characterisation in the nuclear industry
- Possess a working knowledge of the radioactive waste and characterisation supply chain, such as available waste routes and testing facilities, waste acceptance criteria and the NWS waste management framework.
- Support waste and characterisation input to bids
- Work towards becoming a company champion for waste informed decommissioning and sustainable waste management
- Support Best Available Technique and Optioneering studies
- Support the development of training and coaching to be delivered to staff and contractors.
- Ensure that through the implementation of BAT and effective management of resources, that value to the business is ensured.
- Be familiar with the data quality object (DQO) method of characterisation
- Lead medium sized teams and projects where required
Reportable to the Technical Director for Waste and Characterisation.
Degree in a scientific or engineering-based subject or > 5 years’ experience working in waste or characterisation engineering
RWA status desirable
For more information or to apply for the role please contact email@example.com
Due to the nature of work to be undertaken applicants will be required to meet certain residency criteria in order to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.