Senior Waste Engineer
- Permanent /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
Warrington / West Cumbria
The successful candidate will:
- Provide Assystem and our customers with authoritative waste management and characterisation advice.
- Prepare and review waste and characterisation documentation in support of decommissioning projects that will include (but not limited to): Characterisation Status Reports, Facility & Waste Characterisation Plans, Facility & Project Waste Management Plans, Waste Inventory Management, Technical Reports and Presentations.
- Possess a very good working knowledge of the UK regulatory framework for waste and characterisation in the nuclear industry
- Possess a very good working knowledge of the radioactive waste and characterisation supply chain, such as available waste routes and testing facilities, waste acceptance criteria and the NWS waste management framework.
- Provide key waste and characterisation input to bids
- Be able to articulate durations and costs for planned work
- Be a company champion for waste informed decommissioning and sustainable waste management
- Lead Best Available Technique and Optioneering studies
- Be a primary contact between Assystem and our customers. This could be in the form of the candidate being seconded into our customers organisation or working directly on a customer’s site.
- Provide training and coaching to staff and contractors.
- Ensure that through the implementation of BAT and effective management of resources, that value to the business is ensured.
- Possess a good working knowledge of the data quality object (DQO) method of characterisation
- Lead small teams where required
Optional nice to haves:
- Act as RPA for waste and decommissioning projects
- Possess land quality experience
- Possess experience of the RWM package compliance process for GDF, such as letters of compliance (LOCs)
- Have experience in dose assessments
- Have experience in environmental risk assessments and safety cases (GRR, SWESC)
- Have experience in decommissioning strategy development
- Have experience in waste strategy development
- Have experience with class 7 transport and dangerous goods advice
- Degree in a scientific or engineering-based subject or experience working in waste or characterisation engineering
- Certificate of competence to act as a Radioactive Waste Adviser (RWA)
- Transport of Class 7 by Road Level 2 or Level 3
- In depth knowledge of disposal and treatment routes for wastes in the UK and overseas
- Thorough understanding of legislation and frameworks that impact waste management in the UK
- Understanding of characterisation methodology for radioactive and non-radioactive wastes (including the Data Quality Objectives and Data Quality Assessment processes)
- Ability to lead small teams and be a mentor to junior members of the team
- Transport of Class 7 materials and wastes by Road
For more information or to apply for the role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the nature of work to be undertaken applicants will be required to meet certain residency criteria in order to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.