Senior Safety Case Engineer (Civil and Structural background) defence
- Permanent / Engineering / Technical
- Hybrid work
CRA is one of the UK’s largest integrated Risk, Safety and Human Factors consultancies. We have a long history of helping our clients in the UK nuclear and other high hazard industries manage risk and ensure the safety of their operations. As part of the Assystem Group we also have opportunities to support a wide variety of projects around the world.
CRA recognises that our staff are our greatest asset and we strive to develop each consultant technically and professionally by providing them with the opportunities and support they need to grow and realise their potential. For more junior staff, Initial Professional Development (IPD) focuses on attaining the competencies and the range of technical experience required to achieve Chartered status with their chosen professional institution through a combination of internal and external training and project experience. For our more experienced staff, our Continued Professional Development (CPD) programme provides support to allow maintenance of existing skills and expertise, while developing new ones in complimentary areas.
We aim to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment with a healthy work-life balance and recognise the benefits that this brings to our business, our clients and our people.
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to support our Safety Case delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries.
We require Senior Safety Case Engineers with a Civil and Structural bias who have experience of working in the nuclear/defence industries.
If successful, you will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Working in our Defence team in Glasgow, you will be involved in reviewing existing safety case documentation, assessing structural design analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment, determining if this satisfies the criteria imposed and recommending (and undertaking) any work where the substantiation does not meet modern standards.
The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our projects involve reviewing and assessing complex structures to resist variable and dynamic effects from earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, vibrating machinery, mechanical handling, explosions, extreme environmental loading, and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the considered application of numerical analysis techniques, for example modelling ductile behavior, ‘beyond design basis’ responses, soil-structure-interaction, and non-linear buckling behavior. Also required is an understanding of how structural performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Inter-discipline project planning for delivery of safety case documentation.
- Technical quality and excellence of project deliverables
- Technical and professional guidance, support and development of more junior engineers
- Developing good working relationships with clients and other company departments
- Adherence to business and quality management systems
- Operational & design safety understanding, leading to development of a world class safety culture
- Recruitment and team development
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Broad experience in safety case production with good all-round design safety case experience
- Excellent Civil Engineering expertise using British and International standards, and/or Eurocodes
- Knowledge and understanding of structural theory, with proven problem-solving ability
- Develop good working relationships with clients
- Knowledge and understanding of health and safety legislation with demonstrable application
- Communication – Good verbal, written and report writing skills
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and mentor/guide more junior team members
- Nuclear industry experience and experience of safety case documentation
- British National with eligibility to obtain and maintain full UK security clearance (SC)
- Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer
- Ability to manage projects and preparation of project deliverables, including managing quality, budget, programme, and resources
- Ability to lead or assist in preparation of bids and proposals
- Experience of structural dynamics, including experience of seismic, blast and impact load effects
- Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction
- Experience of numerical analysis software
- Experience of fire engineering
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.