Senior HVAC Engineer
- Permanent /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
Support to HVAC Categorised Projects will be required to support the HVAC Principal Engineer / RE to deliver studies that lead to further underpinning of the single viable options selected in the study phases of numerous HVAC Categorised Projects. The role will involve the production and checking of engineering deliverables to support design development through concept and preliminary phases, and into detail design, and assistance during installation and commissioning borne design queries.
The role requires knowledge and experience in project delivery with experience of optioneering and front-end design and detail design. Specific responsibilities are:
- Production of technical and engineering reports.
- Manage Production of Mech/HVAC Drawings
- Production of HVAC/Building services calculations.
- Willing/able to conduct site survey & familiarisation
- Working with a small integrated design team in the delivery of design packages against milestones
- Ability to estimate hours for scope changes or additional works along with outlining supporting schedule for the discipline
- Support the Project in all aspects of HVAC and Building Services with knowledge and experience in nuclear standards and processes, specifically the delivery of the design of HVAC Systems or modification to existing HVAC Systems.
- Able to be client facing and demonstrate confidence as a subject matter expert hence able to support all stakeholders. Role expectations are: –
- Reporting to the HVAC Lead Engineer.
- Have experience of working within Building Services Engineering design consultancy practice.
- An appreciation of quality assurance and business management.
- Good verbal and communication skills.
- Able to work effectively with colleagues and with a professional approach to external clients.
- An enquiring approach with a desire to explore innovative ideas whilst still understanding the need for a good commercial balance.
- Must be of smart appearance with a professional attitude and enthusiastic.
- Being able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Available to travel short term in UK.
- This role requires interface with Integrated Design Team, facility team (including systems engineering), other project functions and must work closely throughout project phases. The ability to work collaboratively in a team environment is essential.
- Degree in Building Services Engineering or HVAC design experience.
- Ideally chartered or working towards chartership.
- Knowledge and experience of UK regulations is essential.
- Knowledge of nuclear standards and site procedures (preferred but not essential).
- Awareness of EG_0_1738_1 – Ventilation of Radioactive Areas.
- Design of ventilation systems from basic principles which shall include but not limited to: –
- Review of room data sheets,
- Calculating required air change rates for free cooling, containment, etc.
- Calculating airflow rates to enable duct sizing and pressure loss calculations for fan duties,
- Develop HVAC Fire and Control Philosophy;
- Knowledge & experience in nuclear containment ventilation.
- Experience in the production of HVAC system design deliverables, specifying heat rejection plant (eg. air / water cooled condensers, heat pumps and heat recovery systems of varying types. The design of HVAC systems for cooling industrial process environments.
- Production of system schematics / Engineering Flow Diagrams (EFDs).
- Able to produce and check psychrometric calculations.
- Knowledge of steam and condensate processes and steam system design.
- Use of industry standard software such as Hevacomp and Pipenet.
- Thermal modelling experience would be an advantage.
- An understanding of Autocad packages and its capabilities.
- Experience in the delivery of written work, eg. Functional Specifications, Basis of Design, Equipment Specifications and Validation and Verification plans.
- Able to mentor junior staff, graduates and apprentices in nuclear ventilation design.
- Demonstrable experience in a similar role/environment, with recent relevant exposure to work in the nuclear industry.
- Ability to manage his/her own time effectively to ensure tasks are delivered to budget and timescale.
- Monitored worker status advantageous but not essential
- Good proficiency in Microsoft packages (Excel, Word, Visio, Power point, Outlook, etc).
- Proactive and driven approach to work, taking ownership of the tasks required to be completed under their remit.
- Good communication skills and ability to work with other team members
- Competent Report writing skills: clearly and concisely reporting findings.
- Comfortable working under time and cost constraints.
- Have Nuclear knowledge
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.