The UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies.
Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.
By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management; Project Management; and Environment & Sustainability.
Prior to operating as ‘Assystem Transport & Infrastructure’, our consents & engagement team were already well established in the provision of professional services and, thanks to continuing success, and with the additional opportunities offered through the Assystem network, we are in a position build on this solid foundation.
Working within the Construction Team on the delivery of HS2, the high-speed railway project, the Senior Consents Engineer will support the wider Delivery Team in identifying the need for Temporary Works Consents, the production of relevant supporting information and management of any conditions applied to approved Consents. The role incorporates liaison with the Consents core team on requirements and provision of suitable information to support the client’s application.
Extensive interaction, externally and internally, from Consent Granting Bodies to technical, construction and design teams will be required to ensure that all necessary consents are in place temporary works.
- Identify Consentable areas within a scope of works and provide support and guidance on the Consent needs to the wider Delivery team.
- Utilise information, technical reports, designs, BIM and GIS data to programme consents and ensure approval of works prior to commencement of activities.
- Review upcoming works with Core Consents Team and programmers to ensure commencement dates are achievable.
- Develop a working understanding of the contract and technical requirements of various Consents including but not limited to Highways, Noise, Water and Ecology – but defer to the Core Consents team expertise for issue of consents advice and guidance to the wider project team and response to consent related queries.
- Liaise with Core Consent Team to track the progress of upcoming, ongoing, and completed Consents in line with the project programme and provide reports on risks where appropriate.
- Provide feedback to the Planning Manager on future Consents requirements so these can be incorporated into the programme utilising Core Consent team durations as laid out in Core Consents team’s Register.
- Liaise with the Core Consents Team, Temporary Works, Utilities, Drainage, Logistics and Traffic Management Teams to ensure they are aware of their associated Consents responsibilities for each elements of the project.
- Co-ordinate, alongside the Core Consents Team, the set-up of Early engagement, Pre-Application and Temporary works Consent review meetings with the relevant Consent Granting Bodies (CGB).
- Provide feedback to delivery team from engagements with CBG’s (via the Core Delivery Team) and co-ordinate the required delivery dates for supporting technical documentation.
- Provide a “go-no go” assurance review on all necessary consents being in place before work on an activity commences
- Work with other sublots and the Core Consents team to ensure knowledge sharing and that lessons learned are cascaded through Delivery teams.
- Be fully aware of the critical path and assist in ensuring that all activities and decisions are prioritised based on the need to minimise risk.
- Maintain effective records of how consent conditions are being adhered to and provide evidence to the U&A Team to enable the discharge of relevant Undertakings and Assurances.
- A strong communicator that can use a variety of methods when communicating with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to chair meetings, creating a collaborative platform for attendees to contribute to.
- Takes ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes.
- Manages the production of tasks, delegating and monitoring their progress.
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility.
- A willingness to learn and actively seek out information off their own accord.
- Good time management and organised.
- Very competent in data management using Microsoft Excel.
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card.
Health Safety & Environmental
- Has an appreciation for H&S hazards, risks and mitigation methods.
- Strong environmental awareness.
- Reads and understands drawings and schedules.
- Awareness and use of specification and other contract documents.
- Able to produce detailed documentation for consent applications.
- Able to report on risks/issues through a variety of methods (Reports, Dashboards etc).
- Knowledge of specification and contract documents
- Understands what constitutes additional works.
- Understands and can raise early warnings.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.
Other vacancies might interest you
Senior EC&I Engineer
Senior Wet Utilities Engineer
Wet Utilities Designer / Draughtsman