Radiological Protection Engineer
- Permanent /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
The Radiological Protection Engineer ensures that the Buildings within client’s scope of responsibility meet the radiological protection requirements as required by the Nuclear Safety Authority. The Radiological Protection Engineer reports to the Team Leader and works alongside other Radiological Protection Engineers. They work closely with other engineering disciplines within client’s office and are part of the extended Radiological Protection team mainly based in the client’s office in Paris and Lyon.
Based on radiological protection requirements and technical documents supplied by systems engineers (circuit operation, space requirement drawings, etc.), technical documents supplied by the architect engineer (location of sources of radioactivity) the Radiological Protection Engineer will:
Support the building design team for the detailed design of the nuclear island buildings
▪ Give advice to the designer regarding the radiological protection constraints (shielding needs, operational constraints, waste management, etc.) that could impact the Civil and Layout design of the building.
▪ Assess any civil and layout modifications that could impact the radiological and contamination zoning requirements of the building.
▪ Ensure that the design is consistent with UK context requirements.
Undertake studies and calculations relating to the spread of radiation
▪ From 3D model extracts, model the areas with PANTHERE software and assign various source terms (sources of radioactivity).
▪ Produce simulations for calculating the thickness of protection screens, depending on the reactor’s operating conditions, the geometry of the premises and the radioactive sources involved.
Provide analysis of the results and writing of technical reports
▪ Writes the radiation protection calculation reports in order to define the radiological zoning and contamination zoning of the buildings.
▪ Issues recommendations for protection screens:
– Defines the radiological classification of premises and systems.
– Defines the necessary protective devices and biological doors.
– Advises building leaders on the optimisation of premises.
▪ Supplies studies and recommendations to the layout teams.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Experience in radiological protection requirements and EPR technology
- Degree qualified in a science-related discipline
- Experience of developing, implementing and providing assurance of arrangements to meet the requirements of the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 and other primary legislation.
- Good understanding of the principles of radiological protection relating to industrial radiography.
- Experience of working as a radiological protection engineer / health physicist in a dynamic nuclear work environment.
- A previous RPA certificate of competence holder.
- Practical work & management experience with radioactive sources.
- Experience of interacting with nuclear and environmental regulators.
- Nuclear Site Licensee Management Arrangements.
- Knowledge of MCNP and Panthere.
- Microsoft Tools.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and have the ability to consider the overall picture.
- They should be proactive, work autonomously and be able to work to tight deadlines.
- They should have good attention to detail.
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Previous experience of working on a nuclear site would be advantageous and desirable
- English fluent (essential)
- French is a bonus
Knowledge of MCNP and Panthere.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.