Principal Mechanical/Structural Engineer
- Contracting /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
The Major Infrastructure Projects directorate provides major new or upgraded dock, berth and building infrastructure projects to provide facilities for the ship and submarine sustainment programmes. As a Principal Engineer you’ll work with multi-discipline infrastructure system designs to provide an overall sustainment capability mainly for dry dock systems.
Using your experience in facility upgrade or construction projects you will manage and review the design packages by subconsultants and work with users and other stakeholders to ensure that the integrated facility provides the sustainment capability. You will use your mechanical engineering expertise to ensure the end product meets the technical and operational requirements of the facility.
This is an exciting opportunity to progress your career and assist in the delivery of Defence design and safety engineering projects, with opportunities for further development and progression within the Company.
Responsible for ensuring the delivery of the mechanical & structural engineering aspects of the Dock Flood & Dewatering package.
Ensure systems are designed against a clear statement of compliance with defined requirements, including demonstration that the design meets relevant HSE and specified Nuclear Safety requirements. Supports delivery of mechanical engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
- Management of the Mechanical engineering elements of the Dock Flood Dewatering packages, ensuring designer technical performance and making appropriate technical responses. Provide Subject Matter Expert advice for mechanical or structural engineering.
- Provide Technical design guidance and review of mechanical and structural design of elements including but not limited to mechanical and structural systems.
- Provide Technical design guidance and review integration of the design with other design packages
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and effectively contributing to the project’s technical planning process.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements operate and deliver through compliance with the Client’s Business Management System and Technical Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The candidate should preferably have:
- Experience of Gate Valves & Penstocks
- Experience of design and substantiation of mechanical structural systems, designing/validating mechanical structures,
- Preferable to have experience producing/reviewing Finite Element Analysis
- Preferable knowledge of relevant design and analysis codes for satisfying Nuclear Safety Functions;
- Knowledge of fabrication, manufacture, testing, certification and installation techniques
A Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Civil/Structural Engineering
Chartered Engineer, registered with Engineering Council.
Preferred but not essential; Nuclear Introductory Course or equivalent nuclear and / or marine system knowledge.
A range of Client specific courses will be provided, such as the following;
- Site Induction
- Fire Safety
- Data Protection
All internal Client courses will be provided for external candidates.
SC Clearance. Sole UK National
Umbrella Contractor or staff
Hybrid – Visits to Client site in Plymouth as and when required – assume fortnightly
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.