- Permanent /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
The SMPrO – Front End Definition (FED) deals with a range of requests from site and issues that require investigating from Gate 0 to Gate 2, for a Project to be initiated on sound basis of requirements.
This covers Stage 1 (Feasibility) and Stage 2 (Appraise and Select), ie. Typically covering initial information gathering, investigations/inspections and Studies, involving ‘long list’ and ‘short list, success criteria, full stakeholder engagement, down selection, and development of a single preferred solution.
SMPrO FED (HATW Tranche 4) have a requirement for a Mechanical Design Engineer to provide an initial design service through Stage1 and Stage 2 of the project/design process.
The role will involve working within a small multi-disciplined team to gather information, identify where/when investigations or inspections will be necessary to underpin viability and negate showstoppers, requirements definition, specification of any trials/R&D, and to provide experienced input and direction for the mechanical aspects of the feasibility and appraise and select phases of the study/project.
The issues will be varied for plant, pipework, transport etc dealing with High Active, Medium Active and Low Active waste streams that process and segregate HA/MA, prior to vitrify or package the waste.
The equipment/machinery selected and proven will be used within shielded cells ranging from COTs to bespoke and designed for remote handling or remote operation in hazardous areas. Also, out cell there will be a requirement to select equipment that is more likely to be of a conventional nature for mechanical handling material in man accessible areas.
- Degree in relevant engineering discipline with design delivery experience OR
- other qualification such as BTEC, HNC, HND, with 10 or more years design delivery experience.
- Familiarity and experience of working and complying with applicable Practices, standards, and engineering guides particularly in the Front End stages of projects.
- Past experience with producing mechanical based options/concept designs to align with Programme study report outputs and requirements.
- Familiarity and experience of designing equipment for in cell applications involving remote maintenance and operation.
- Familiarity with crane and lifting equipment design, as such knowledge and past experience using crane and other design specifications and guides e.g. BS2573, The Machinery Regulations, LOLER, and PUWER are required.
- Competent and proven design engineer, capable of producing designs, schemes, drawings, and supporting calculations who is familiar with the roles and application of the CDM regulations.
- Previous experience producing Functional requirements documents and specifications for inspections/trials/R&D
- Familiarity with safety case principles and capable of providing design substantiation for equipment with designated nuclear safety functions to demonstrate that design solutions can meet the required safety function placed on it to the appropriate level.
- Familiarity or previous design experience with HA plants on the Sellafield site (Preferred).
- Liaison with key stakeholders and other design disciplines
- Competent Report writing skills: clearly and concisely reporting findings.
- Comfortable working under time and cost constraints.
- The candidate will need to manage their own workload and drive completion of the work scope
- The candidate will need to be able to communicate effectively with team members and with the Client.
Due to the nature of work to be undertaken, applicants will be need to be UK nationals and able to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.