Mechanical Design Engineer
- Permanent /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
In this role you will be reporting into the Assystem Engineering Lead Director / or Nominated Manager and also assigned working into the client delivery team organisation responsible for design.
Here your focus will be Design Engineer for the mechanical, mechanisms, machine tolerance, pressure, vacuum and manipulation / handling equipment aspects for the range of design completion, assurance and open technical point and issues closure across variety of multidiscipline work package portfolios from a combination of such as:
- Interface with facility and the process systems gasses, structure, floor systems and the likes..
- Datum Alignment, Qualification and Validation.
- Manufacture, FAT and Assembly
- Localised Equipment Build associated with Process Handling, Cranes, Glove Boxes, Package Plant, Bespoke Test Equipment and Tooling Systems Equipment..
- Interface with the C&I, Civil, Structural and Electrical Requirements
- Final Stage manufacture, assembly Design of the PP&E for such as Process Handling, Cranes, Glove Boxes, Package Plant, Bespoke Equipment, Test Equipment and Tooling Systems.
- Security, Cyber and Bio Metric Systems Understanding.
- Active Systems design substantiation to include Class 1, 2
- CE Marking and or UKCA, technical folder and evidencing.
Working within the client organisation as one of the key team players you will have specific focus on an array of the above packages and the likes and will be specifically responsible for the following deliverables across your work package teams:
- The overarching requirements of the design status understanding of the current stage of the manufacture, assembly and build to the end – user requirements,
- Work closure gap identification, Technical and Design Open Point Solution, Outstanding Issues Closure, Snagging Resolution in the design, align and being representational in the field.
- Delivery to remnant Schedule, Quality Rigour and Assurance.
- Work with Team members with informed decisions to work closure.
- Work with the client systems and processes, configuration management requirements
- Facilitate and Ensure Concurrent Construction, Installation, Testing and Commissioning will mean the origin End User Intent into of Hazards, Performance and Safety Criteria.
- Support and Mediate solutions and Issues with Resolution with all stakeholders being aligned.
- Support Team and Maintain Required Standards and Expectations. Meet Targets and Apply Rigour.
- Report status to the management line within the Client Organisation and the Supply Chain Organisation
- Ensure Technical and Engineering Specifications are representative of the design along the built and commissioned asset meeting the HRR and End User Requirements.
- Ensure As Built design is fit for origin intent and that all such as Line diagrams, and schematics, Functional diagrams and the likes are representative of the design along the built and commissioned asset meeting the HRR and End User Requirements representative of the design along the built and commissioned asset meeting the HRR and End User Requirements.
- Assurance that the work closure meets End User, Regulatory, Relevant Standards, Safety Case, and Site Licence Compliance.
- CE Marking and or UKCA
- Minimum qualification for this role is HNC in plant engineering, mechanical engineering or equivalent qualification with a high emphasis on demonstrable Design Aspects
- Preferred qualification for this role is HND / Degree Level in plant engineering, mechanical engineering or equivalent qualification with a high emphasis on demonstratable Design Aspects
- Incorporated Engineer or / and working towards Chartership status.
- Member of a recognised institute
In order to fulfil the role requirements, the following skills and experience are essential:
- Significant experience of the nuclear industry preferred in a similar role, that is demonstrable in complex bespoke machine manufacture, assembly, integration and final stage build,
- Have demonstrable industrial understanding of Machinery Directives, detailed design and qualification requirements, including CE Marking or UKCA
- Founded understanding of RCA and the methods to gain either Software or Hardware route cause and clear appreciation of the required approaches to non-conformance, gaps identification, design closure and remedy resolution.
- CE Marking and or UKCA
In order to fulfil this role a combination of several the following skills and experience are highly desirable:
- Knowledge and understanding of safety critical systems and specifications including the appropriate legislation, standards and directives along with the management of appropriate activities such as FMECA, HAZOP, HAZID.
- Knowledge of the above defined machine and systems detailed design, including Substantiation and Equipment Qualification assessment.
- An understanding design phases integration across the V cycle, design validation and verifications and version management.
- Experience of software / hardware / embedded programming for machinery, radiological monitoring and process plant, machinery directives.
- Experience of designing/leading and particular completion of active systems packages .
- Demonstrable and sound technical knowledge of theoretical and practical design aspects of system designs for machine, handling, glovebox and the likes
- Experience with plant, assembly, production engineering and documentation configuration management.
- In-depth understanding of sequential assembly, limits, fits and the practicality of constructability, tolerancing and the likes
- Issues and Gap Identification, evidencing, and case build up as to apply resolution to open points, blockers and issues.
- Demonstrable Evidence of the full understanding of the full life cycle of a complex asset in nuclear, or a heavily regulated industry.
- Understanding of the Equipment Function Design, Technical and Performance Specifications Development and Writing.
- An awareness of how the component engineering, system aspects align and integrate within a complex asset and project environment.
- A demonstrable track record of design delivery and expertise in machine design, manufacture Discipline specialisations, and general experience across the whole disciplines that can be demonstrated..
- Understanding of the key aspects of nuclear safety cases, and the classification requirements of potential hazard accident risk of Structures, Systems and Components qualification requirements such a Radiation Release, Chemo Toxic, Seismic, Fire, Flooding, and the likes.
- Experience in the design and bespoke design development and substantiation of Safety Instrumented systems in accordance with recognised Regulatory Safety Standards.
- The capability to deliver integrated system design solutions to the required standards, in the required timescales, supported by appropriate documentation for handover preparedness.
- An awareness of a construction full project life-cycle management, through all its phases and stages.
- A commercial awareness of project management to support technical knowledge and decisions impact.
- Understanding of Highly Regulated Industries.
- Previous Designer Role with a depth of understanding of the requirements as a Principle Designer with the CDM Regulations.
- Experience with nuclear safety cases, and the classification of Structures, Systems and Components
- Appreciation of the Machinery, EMC directives, pressure regulations, LOLER and the likes.
- Experience in compliance with Regulatory Licence Conditions, and ONR, DNSR, DSA and MOD
The following attributes will be relevant for this role:
- Self-Starter and Motivated.
- Be flexible, agile to the role needs, to maintain delivery targets.
- Confident in being suggestive to Alternative Solutions that provide Safety, Time, Cost and Quality Solutions
- Team player, with the ability to integrate and manage 360 degrees when required..
- Good communicator at all levels within a matrix delivery organisation of Lead Team, Delivery Interface area
- Ability to work in a multi solution integrated Client and Specialist Supply Chain teams
- Ability to provide technical guidance, resolve issues, and provide leadership to other piers and work Interfaces areas.
- Ability to manage own time and to deliver within agreed time scales, target cost and the required quality standards
- Ability manage and facilitate, resolve conflicts, and tedious situations that can aspire.
- Understanding of Nuclear Professionalism
- Understanding of the UK Regulators and Site Licence Requirements
Due to the nature of this role we will require the successful candidate to be a sole British passport holder and to be able to acquire Security Clearance.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.