Lead Safety Case Engineer
- Permanent /
- On site
Corporate Risk Associates Limited (CRA) is one of the UK’s largest integrated Risk, Safety and Human Factors consultancies. We have a long history of helping our clients in the UK nuclear and other high-hazard industries manage risk and ensure the safety of their operations. As part of the Assystem Group we also have opportunities to support a wide variety of projects around the world.
CRA recognises that our staff are our greatest asset, and we strive to develop each consultant technically and professionally by providing them with the opportunities and support they need to grow and realise their potential. For more junior staff, Initial Professional Development (IPD) focuses on attaining the competencies and the range of technical experience required to achieve Chartered status with their chosen professional institution through a combination of internal and external training and project experience. For our more experienced staff, our Continued Professional Development (CPD) programme provides support to allow maintenance of existing skills and expertise, while developing new ones in complementary areas.
We aim to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment with a healthy work-life balance and recognise the benefits that this brings to our business, our clients and our people.
The Lead Safety Case Engineer is required to provide safety case strategy support to the our client’s project portfolio. This is a key role in which the Lead Safety Case Engineer will ensure that all stakeholders maintain a strong nuclear safety culture while developing the safety case strategy. The Lead Safety Case Engineer will deploy defence and other relevant standards while incorporating industry good practice to the development of the Project safety case strategy and relevant development activities.
This Lead Safety Case Engineer will ensure that project Safety Management Arrangements (SMAs) are in place and provide assurance that:
- The proposed engineered solution and safety justification satisfy the clients requirements.
- Critical Safety Functions and Operational Safety Functions (CSFs & OSFs) are delivered.
- Safety Documentation is produced in accordance with the agreed Safety Justification Plan (SJP) and relevant Safety Management Arrangements (SMAs).
- Safety documentation is consistent with current industry good practice and legislative and regulatory requirements including but not limited to ONR/DNSR Technical Assessment Guides (TAGs), Technical Inspection Guides (TIGs) & Safety Assessment Principles (SAPs) and NRPA Level 4 Methodologies.
- Design Substantiation provides the evidence layer(s) to the Claims and Arguments within Nuclear Safety Cases.
- The requirements of the NRP/NW Design Intent in terms of Nuclear Safety and Operational Functional Requirements (SFRs and OFRs) and Design Substantiation of Systems Structures & Components (SSC’s) are defined and met by the design suite.
- Appropriate Operating Conditions & Limits (OCL’s), Operating Rules (OR’s) & Operating Instructions (OI’s) are defined and met by the design suite.
- Hazard Analysis and Fault Schedule development is appropriate to support the safety justification.
- Appropriate and adequate Safeguards & Safety Systems are identified and met by the design.
- EIMT requirements are appropriate and clearly identified.
- Construction and Commissioning requirements are appropriate and clearly identified and that risks are appropriately managed.
- That Installation/Implementation procedures reflect the requirements of the safety justification and are consistent with current industry good practice and legislative and regulatory requirements.
Commissioning activities demonstrates compliance with the safety case and design intent requirements as detailed in the Safety Commissioning Schedule and the programme logic by providing assurance that:
Non-Active and Active
- The production, review, and authorisation of Commissioning (AC21) procedures are consistent with current industry good practice and legislative and regulatory requirements.
- All test requirements are clearly identified and achievable including clear identification of pass/fail criteria.
- Commissioning Logic accurately reflects SSC operational modes (normal and faulted) and supports the overall installation/commissioning plan.
- That operating/maintenance procedures and EIMT schedules have been fully validated and verified by the correct SMEs. Upon completion, operators and maintainers will conduct suitable and sufficient touch and operability and maintainability drills to ensure they have the cognitive skills to conduct the task and that the documents have a useability.
- Ensure that Learning from Experience (Lfe) is being captured and utilised through the design and safety justification development and informs the final documentation suite.
- All commissioning activities with relevant hazards present have been subject to an appropriate Radiological Risk Assessment and suitable hold point control.
Qualification, Special Skills or Experience:
- Experience the safety case management and delivery within an operational and highly regulated environment, project delivery within a naval base environment is preferable.
- Chartered Engineer status or able to attain chartered status (demonstration of continued professional development).
- Qualification to degree level in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline.
Comprehensive range of benefits including but not limited to:
- Company Pension where CRA contributes 8%. Company Salary sacrifice for employee contribution if desired
- 25 days paid holiday in addition to all bank holidays
- Discretionary annual bonus depending on company and personal performance
- Private medical Insurance with the option to extend to family at own costs if desired
- Death in service benefit (currently 4 x annual salary)
- Subscription paid to two professional institutions
- Flexible working arrangements
- CRA Academy to help drive your career
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.