Lead Mechanical Engineer
- Permanent /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Warrington / Whitehaven
Staff / Contract (Inside IR35)
The Mechanical Lead Engineer will be required to lead the mechanical design through all project phases, including the current validation of the single viable ventilation plant option (which includes mechanical plant and equipment eg bespoke remote handling equipment, Liquor management/pumping system, redundant plant containment systems).
The Mechanical Lead Engineer will be required to work closely with the multidiscipline design team and plant-based teams. They will be required to deliver the mechanical work scope, production and checking of design deliverables, reporting to the Mechanical Responsible Engineer and the Area Engineering Manager as well as lead the Warrington based mechanical team in the production of detail drawings, sub-assemblies, GA, Layout drawings, Mechanical Flow diagrams and parts lists.
The successful candidate may be required to check calculation packages to verify the design underpinning and lead design substantiation. Manage the production/compiling of technical documentation (UKCA technical file compilation, technical specifications, RA’s, Installation methodology docs, O&M manuals, etc) will be a requirement. The Mechanical Lead Engineer will manage the project deliverables in relation to Mechanical work scope, working closely with the project management teams.
- Experience of working within a highly regulated industry, preferably within the nuclear industry
- Knowledge & experience in nuclear containment systems and mechanical plant & equipment design.
- Responsible for the timely delivery of design packages, which will include close liaison with the Area Engineering Manager/Technical Manager, other engineering disciplines, the role will have the following expectations.
- Lead functional input to own projects, including where relevant leading the input of other (possibly multidisciplinary) engineers, to ensure engineering delivery meets scope, time, cost and quality.
- Plan and prioritise own work and the mechanical team so that parallel activities are all completed in a timely manner.
- Carry out engineering calculations and checking calculations where required and check the mechanical deliverables ensuring the team deliver quality outputs to schedule.
- Generate and check engineering estimates and execution strategies.
- Manage suppliers to ensure cost effective, timely delivery.
- Provide functional support and guidance to the mechanical team.
- Keep abreast of current technology so that technical input to projects takes account of new developments.
- Capable of assessing & managing changes on the Ventilation system designs that may effect the mechanical design scope/deliverables.
- Experience of Alpha plant design and the safe decommissioning of redundant (potentially alpha contaminated) plant.
- Liaison with key stakeholders and other design disciplines
- Competent report writing skills: clearly and concisely reporting findings.
- Comfortable working under time and cost constraints.
- The candidate will need to be able to communicate effectively with team members and with the Client.
Due to the nature of work to be undertaken applicants will be required to meet certain residency criteria in order to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.
Some site travel may be required.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.