Junior Waste and Environmental Engineer
- Permanent /
- On site
The role is within the UK subsidiary of Assystem (Assystem Energy & Infrastructure Limited – AEIL), an international engineering services company with headquarters in Paris, which has a turnover of £600m in the energy, nuclear, pharmaceutical and defence.
AEIL offers a range of multi-disciplined engineering, design analysis services to a range of blue-chip clients ranging from initial concept and feasibility studies through to design and supply of bespoke engineered equipment.
Having achieved significant growth in turnover in the last 5 years, AEIL is now looking to recruit a commercially minded, customer focused, Business Unit Director to take responsibility for operations covering the Decommissioning & Waste Management sector within the UK as we structure the business for the next phase of growth.
Junior Waste and Environmental Engineer
Blackburn / Warrington / Whitehaven
Technical Director Waste and Characterisation
Security Clearance Level
To support in the provision of advice to Assystem and our customers on matters concerning the management of radioactive and non-radioactive wastes including, but not limited to, the characterisation, management, production, storage, packaging and consignment of waste. The job holder will also ensure that waste is considered in accordance with BAT and project (or facility) waste management plans whilst meeting the needs of project teams. The role holder will develop their knowledge in waste and facility characterisation and how this supports robust design and safe delivery of projects. The role holder will support on opportunity development including bids and customer interfacing where required. For an environmental focused engineer, key aspects of delivery will be support environmental impact assessments, land remediation and land quality studies and sustainability reporting in waste and decommissioning activities.
The role will be deployed across a number of business areas including Decommissioning, New Build and operational nuclear facilities.
Reportable to the Technical Director for Waste and Characterisation.
Organisational & Job Context
The successful candidate will:
- Support in the provision of waste management and characterisation advice.
- Prepare waste and characterisation documentation in support of decommissioning projects that will include (but not limited to): Characterisation Status Reports, Facility & Waste Characterisation Plans, Facility & Project Waste Management Plans, Waste Inventory Management, Technical Reports and Presentations.
- Prepare environmental documentation such as sustainability reports, environmental impact assessments and land quality strategies.
- Possess a good working knowledge of the UK regulatory framework for waste and characterisation in the nuclear industry
- Possess a good working knowledge of the radioactive waste and characterisation supply chain, such as available waste routes and testing facilities, waste acceptance criteria and the NWS waste management framework.
- Posses a good working knowledge of environmental management in the nuclear industry.
- Provide waste and environmental support to bids
- Become a company champion for waste informed decommissioning and sustainable waste management
- Participate in Best Available Technique and Optioneering studies
- Be a point of contact between Assystem and our customers. This could be in the form of the candidate being seconded into our customers organisation or working directly on a customer’s site.
- Act as RPA for waste and decommissioning projects
- Possess land quality experience
- Possess experience of the RWM package compliance process for GDF, such as letters of compliance (LOCs)
- Have experience in dose assessments
- Have experience in environmental risk assessments and safety cases (GRR, SWESC)
- Have experience in decommissioning strategy development
- Have experience in waste strategy development
- Have experience with class 7 transport and dangerous goods advice
Education & Qualifications Required
- Degree in a scientific or engineering-based subject or > 2 years’ experience working in waste, environmental science or characterisation engineering
- > 1 years’ experience working in a waste, environmental science, or characterisation management position
Specific know-how and skills required
- Knowledge of disposal and treatment routes for wastes in the UK and overseas
- Understanding of legislation and frameworks that impact waste and environmental management in the UK
- Knowledge of characterisation methodology for radioactive and non-radioactive wastes (including the Data Quality Objectives and Data Quality Assessment processes)
- Understanding of the radioactive substances’ legislation
For more information or to apply for the role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the nature of work to be undertaken applicants will be required to meet certain residency criteria in order to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.