Highways Interface Manager
- Permanent /
- On site
The UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies.
Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.
By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management; Project Management; and Environment & Sustainability.
Prior to operating as ‘Assystem Transport & Infrastructure’, our consents & engagement team were already well established in the provision of professional services and, thanks to continuing success, and with the additional opportunities offered through the Assystem network, we are in a position build on this solid foundation.
A Project Manager or Consents Professional with highways experience is sought to join our Environment, Consents and Engagement Team to help our clients deliver their projects.
The initial role is to provide a key interface function between the HS2 project and National Highways:
- Support the development, implementation and running of an assurance and delivery framework to deal with client interfaces, resulting from the construction and operation of HS2 Phase 1.
- Support and facilitate timely consent for HS2 works being undertaken by our client, as obligated under the HS2 Phase 1 Act.
- Work across a matrix organisation to deliver HS2 and client obligations and ensure engagement and suitable granting of consent applications for works covering Safety, Operational and Customer aspects.
ORGANISATIONAL: Fully enabling the delivery teams to construct the works and ensuring client’s reputation is enhanced, and obligations are discharged in compliance with the HS2 contract
Sublot Design Managers, SL Consents team, Regional Consent Manager. DJV, Community Engagement team and any subcontract or specialist support engaged as necessary
Local Highway Authorities, National Highways, HS2 Consents team, Early Works Contractor.
- Aligned to Sublots or specific Assets for Highways to:
- Ensure timely compliance in accordance with HS2 standards and project requirements and the HS2 Act.
- Support and management of compliance with commitments made to National Highways and LHA’s.
- Facilitate and support data gathering, collation and storage of information required by Delivery teams, National Highways, LHA’s and their contractors.
- Manage the process of developing and submitting Highways applications in line with the programme.
- Proactively manage relationships and communications with Highway Authorities to understand and progress the submission process and inform about the project demands.
- Lead contact point with DJV on draft application delivery programme and quality of document content.
- Manage, collate and produce evidence for performance metrics and reporting and review of the Highways Consents Register against programme to provide clear performance information on the progress with planning consents.
- Ensure project wide awareness of Highways consent needs and compliance with them.
- Ensure recording of all communications with third parties as evidence to support Highway consent process and provide evidence for Road Safety Audits and National Highways should there be serious incident post implementation.
- Collaborate as necessary with LHA’s, National Highways, HS2 and internal teams in support of project objectives.
- Demonstrate the good behaviours
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Experience of securing Highways Consents and ensuring compliance within construction / infrastructure context.
- Knowledge and experience of Highways or civil engineering practices, methods, and techniques
- Understanding of working to programmes and critical paths
- Knowledge of UK planning law.
- Knowledge of UK planning processes and Consent Granting Body requirements.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to deliver to deadlines.
- Experience of working in Highways or related project delivery.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Experience of working with multi-disciplinary teams on complex projects.
- Experience of major construction schemes and /or major infrastructure projects
- Proactive, positive approach
- Knowledge of ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements
- Developed teamworking skills.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.