Environmental and Waste Manager
- Permanent /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
KAD Nuclear is seeking to appoint an Environmental and Waste Manager to primarily provided informed environmental advice in delivering construction projects on Clyde Naval base accounting for all environmental compliance obligations.
The position will be based in Glasgow, Scotland.
The role will report to Senior project Managers, but will be expected to interface with all disciplines.
- Provides informed environmental advice to ensure long-term environmental (including waste) goals are met
- Arrange and undertake relevant site surveys and develop plans to maximise the environmental potential of our projects
- Support environmental permit, licence, consent applications.
- Produce reports and coordinate data to support achievement of Defence Related Environmental Assessment Methodology (DREAM)
- Oversees the management of contractual aspects to ensure environmental requirements are captured and the management of contractors who perform environmental activities
- Develops, manages and maintains effective Environmental Management plans, including objectives and targets.
- Monitor the consumption of electricity, water and waste through recording and analysis of data and report the impact of changes, either from suppliers or following project improvements. Produce reports based on collected data upon request.
- Ensure oil spills are managed in line with the Oil Spill Response Plan.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all environmental compliance obligations, including planning conditions, MMO licence conditions and permit conditions.
- Respond to emergency incidents and support where required.
- Review and accept contract Environmental Management plans
- Conduct and report on Environmental Audits
- Identifies and analyses environmental impacts and contributes to the identification and evaluation of risk reduction measures, ensuring that these are adequately documented and managed
- Train staff at all levels on environmental issues and responsibilities
- Raise awareness of best practice with all site personnel and ensure that equipment, processes, training, signage is appropriate for safe and correct disposal of waste, aiming to increase site-wide recycling and decrease quantity of waste produced.
- Conduct environmental incident investigations and report of findings
- Work with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations and MOD requirements.
- Liaise with relevant bodies such as local authorities, public bodies and competent bodies
- Delivery of Environmental campaigns based upon learning from experience and industry best practice.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental management, waste, chemistry, or relevant management discipline
- Relevant professional accreditation (MCIWEM, PIEMA or equivalent)
- Full Driving License essential
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Defence and the Construction sector
- Experience of implementing Defence Related Environmental Assessment Methodology (DREAM)
- Experience of working with marine regulation, permitting and consents
- Experience of working in Scotland with Scottish Environmental regulation
- Experience in contractor procurement
- Must hold, or be eligible for SC
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Resourceful and well organised
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Good IT skills: Microsoft Word, MS Excel, etc
- Excellent time management.
Can be home/home office based with weekly visits to Glasgow/HMNB Clyde – around 8 days/month.
Part time role would be considered.
Must be sole UK National and will need to gain SC Clearance to commence work
Umbrella Contractor (Inside IR35) or Staff only
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.