Ecologist Team Leader
- Infrastructure / Building
- Permanent / Engineering / Technical
- Hybrid work
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
The UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies.Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management; Project Management; and Environment & Sustainability.
Prior to operating as ‘Assystem Transport & Infrastructure’, our environmental team had already made significant steps in developing our capability and expertise within the ecology discipline and, thanks to continuing success, and with the additional opportunities offered through the Assystem network, we are in a position build on this solid foundation.
We are looking for an Ecological Team Leader to join our friendly team. You will have gained some experience in managing junior members of staff and possess sound technical ability in reviewing reports. The role would involve the opportunity to manage a small team which is anticipated to grow over the year.
Whilst we do provide services to nationally significant infrastructure projects, we also have a varied portfolio of smaller projects, working directly for end clients, ranging from single Preliminary Ecological Appraisals to larger sites requiring multi species surveys.
We would be happy to support individuals in their efforts to further build on our existing client base and to develop into effective team leaders.
We would be open to applications from Senior or Principal Ecologists who feel ready to embrace a new challenge.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Directing and managing projects
- Managing the day-to-day workload of our ecology team
- Providing technical guidance and support to the ecology team
- Supervising and mentoring team members
- Providing in-house continuing professional development (CPD) training
- Supporting the Associate Director
- Liaising with clients and other organisations to promote strong working relationships and effective communication
- Excellent, proven team management skills, including ability to lead, inspire and develop staff
- Workload planning and resourcing skills
- Business development skills and ability to win new business and developing new service; interested in and keen to expand your project management skills and becoming involved in financial management
- Experience of supervision, supporting and management of more junior ecologists including in their career development
- Hold a Natural England survey licence for bats and have held EPS mitigation licences for bats or GCN within the last three years
- Proficient at Biodiversity Net Gain metrics
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven technical experience
- Excellent report writing and communication skills
- Experience of critically reviewing others work including preliminary ecological appraisal and protected species survey reports
- Extensive surveying experience including Phase 1/preliminary ecological appraisal and protected species survey
- Thorough understanding of UK/EU nature conservation legislation and planning policy
- Full membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management (CIEEM)
- Must be physically fit and be willing and able to able to work in all weather conditions necessary to carry out collection of data
- Ability to use GIS and be at the forefront of technology
- Be prepared to travel for work
- Flexible on working hours, as there will be some evening and night work; and
- A full UK driving licence
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.
Other vacancies might interest you