- Contracting / Engineering / Technical
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
The Nuclear Process Group forms part of the Facilities Engineering Technical Authority and is responsible for delivering a Technical Authority and Design Agency function, supporting the various business units within Devonport Royal Dockyard (DRD), and Ministry of Defence (MoD) establishments.
A permanent full time Design Engineer is required to lead and support a team in providing their Design and Technical Authority responsibilities to the business.
The role has flexible working arrangements with time spent remotely, office based and on-site, including in radiologically controlled areas.
The main purpose of the role is to provide technical engineering support and advice, and undertake design activities relating to process engineering supporting dockyard facilities. This includes the maintenance and control of modifications to the design intent of nuclear process plant and equipment across DRDs Nuclear Licensed Site and the MoD’s Authorised Site.
The Nuclear Process Group remit includes the Technical Authority for:
- active waste collection, receipt, storage, transportation and treatment systems
- refuel process system support equipment/facilities
- nuclear process systems supporting submarine maintenance/refit periods
Outline responsibilities of the Design Engineer role include:
- Leading or working within a team of engineers, planning and organising tasks and facilitating progress
- Production of design documentation and supporting assessments, acting as lead author where appropriate
- Development and delivery of designs in accordance with the design process (Start-up, Concept, Scheme, Detailed and Implementation phases) and relevant legislation
- Provision of advice, as directed by line management, on the implementation and maintenance of design documentation and compliance with relevant codes, standards and legislation
- Performing, and where appropriate leading, quality checking services to other engineers
- Performing, and where appropriate checking, design analyses and associated activities
- Representing Nuclear Process Group Technical Authority by leading on-site visits and where appropriate, providing guidance and leadership to contract staff
- Provision of through-life technical support for nuclear process assets
- Provision of technical support, advice, guidance and resolutions to optioneering studies, design reviews, HAZOPS etc.
- Understanding of mechanical engineering principles for the design, operation and maintenance of pressure/pipework systems
- Knowledge of the design lifecycle
- Knowledge of the general regulations, legislation and standards that are applicable to nuclear process and pressure system design
And, technical experience with one or more of the following:
- Pressure systems
- Computer aided design
- Component engineering simulation
- System fluid flow analysis
- Nuclear plant design
With the following personal competencies:
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, including report writing
- Questioning attitude
- Attention to detail
- Logical approach to problem solving and provision of advice
- Flexible approach to allow for reactive nature of work
- An ability to work with others and independently
- Professional attitude and approach to work
A minimum of HNC or equivalent in a mechanical/process engineering discipline.
Due to the nature of work to be undertaken applicants will be required to meet certain residency criteria in order to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.