Context and challenges
This client is a major player in the UK nuclear defense sector.
One of the dockyards in the UK is the client licence holder for the owned and operated nuclear facilities on the Licensed Site within Her Majesty’s Naval Base. These licenced facilities support the maintenance activities required for the Royal Navy fleet of nuclear-powered submarines.
The dockyard needed further enhancements and upgrades to provide a modern support and maintenance facility for submarine maintenance and future business requirements of both the client and the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
The 10 Dock programme was a campaign to upgrade one of the docking facilities to provide enhanced capabilities, efficiency and improved safety.
This client appointed Assystem to deliver three concept designs to upgrade three of the docking facility systems.
Concept design packages covering docking & berthing facilities and mechanical systems such as fuel discharge, flushing rigs, steam machinery trials capability and sullage and sewerage.
Each package required:
- Systems Engineering – from user requirements to implementation and verification
- Mechanical Design and 3D CAD
- Engineering Design Drawings
- Design Substantiation
- CDM (Construction Design and Management) Designer’s Risk Assessments
- Master Records Indexes
- Concept Design Reports
- Learning from Experience / Recognised Good Practice capture processes
- Delivery within short deadlines, ensuring cost control and quality through rapid mobilization and execution using expert resources familiar with the client's site
- Efficient risk management – working with the customer to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic including a rapid shift to home working during the UK nationwide lockdown
- Schedule risk reduction through implementing learning from previous experience projects: for instance integrating customer processes to streamline management, having a single interface with the customer project team, and using Assystem resources already familiar with the project
- Design risk reduction through effective interface management: Assystem worked collaboratively with the customer and competitor organisations who were delivering interfacing work packages to ensure clear understanding and implementation of interface requirements