Context and challenges
This client is a leading provider of subsea technologies and services, in the energy sector. It is specialised in the production of umbilicals, power cables, inter-array cables and power systems etc.
This client needed engineering support to deliver a large project involving production of a series of offshore subsea distribution units, umbilical termination assemblies and pressure monitoring equipment.
The projects cover a range of onshore and offshore applications in the energy sector including power, controls and hydraulics for offshore wind turbines and oil & gas field developments.
In this framework, this client appointed Assystem to provide design and structural integrity services, including to develop requirement specifications, produce manufacturing drawings, write instruction and operating manuals, liaise with client’s collaborators and manage subcontract testing and fabrications.
Assystem provided a full turnkey engineering solution to the client to deliver multimillion-pound, complex engineering projects:
- Engineering support covering full project life-cycle from requirements capture, through detailed design to support manufacturing and commissioning with mixed embedded and home office technical teams
- Technical delivery covering project initiation and client management, concept design, detailed design, 2D and 3D CAD and drawings to BS8888 (British Standard), design for manufacture and assembly, oversight of manufacture, component testing and installation and commissioning support
- Leading communication with regulatory bodies and sub-contractor manufacturers on behalf of the client
- Use of digital tools, including Autodesk Inventor & Vault, Ansys finite element analysis software, Caesar pipe stress analysis software to improve automation and efficiency of design and analysis processes
- Embedded leadership team at Client site interfacing with client’s people, systems and data
- Flexible support to client’s in-house teams and agile response to changing demand
- Access to industry leading specialist analysis capabilities and best practice thanks to transferable skills from other industries including nuclear and marine industries (seismic design and analysis, hydraulic design, dynamics, HISC (Hydrogen Induced Stress Cracking) and design for fatigue and endurance)
- Optimised and cost-efficient solution thanks to cross industry best practice, including use of modern standards and methods and detailed structural analysis through the use of finite element techniques
- Respect of regulatory bodies from a range of offshore standards including Det Norsk Veritas (DNV), Lloyds, Norsok, American Petroleum Institute (API), International Standards Organisation (ISO) and American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME)