Context and challenges
This client is a mining company in the Middle East. It aims to participate to the development of KSA mining sector, beyond Oil & Gas and petrochemicals.
This company focuses its activity on the production of gold, phosphate, aluminium, copper and industrial minerals.
In order to expand its growing activity and production, this client required to build a water transportation network from a water plant to the client’s mine sites across Saudi Arabia. The project included hundreds of kilometers of water pipeline from the plant to several different locations across central and southern regions of Saudi Arabia, pumping stations, pumping thousands of m3/day of treated water to process gold ore, several storage facilities.
This client has appointed Assystem to provide the Front-End Engineering Design (FEED) and construction supervision as part of Project Management Consulting services.
- Design of pump stations (transfer & master pump station) design include HVAC - heating, ventilation and air-conditioning, Plumbing & drainage and storm water system
- Design of storage facilities at several mine sites and at the master pump station
- Design of 18”, 14” & 12” diameters structures for hundreds of km of pipeline from the plant to several mine sites including hydraulic, surge analysis and stress analysis
- Perform air-release valve, pressure relief valve, pressure reducing valve and wash-out valve sizing calculations
- Design 13.8 Kva substations at each master pump station and transfer pump station which include transformers, switchgears and MCC (Motor Control Center). Design lighting, power, grounding UPS (Uninterruptible Power System), emergency diesel power generator and fire & smoke detection system
- Design SCADA and PLC’s system which include control system consoles, marshalling cabinet, continuous monitoring of process parameters such as level, pressure, flow etc. together with alarm set points and flow totalizing for display on two operator station monitors
- Design OSP (Outside Plant) (FOC - Fiber Optic Cable network) of hundreds of km along with water pipeline to establish communication networks for Voice, Video and data link for several mine sites
- Global monitoring from Central Control Room of several mines and the complete water pipeline thanks to PLC/SCADA system
- Significant amount of Ground Water Savings (thousands of m3/day) achieved with this water transportation structure
- Achievement by the client of its target concerning supplying treated water from a water plant to several mine sites (achievement within the timeframe requested by the client)