Context and challenges
The complexity of nuclear power plant construction is growing exponentially. It is therefore essential to be able to rely on information systems that combine engineering processes with a collaborative approach to benefit all stakeholders.
Multi-D® technology has been developed by Atomstroyexport (ASE), the engineering branch of Rosatom. Multi-D® is a unified portal enabling access to various relevant information, as well as the seamless integration of existing software, ASE products and tools and engineering processes.
A ‘Proof Of Concept’ (POC) has been jointly developed by ASE and Assystem for a major nuclear client and more specifically for its operating fleet’s engineering centre. This was completed to comply with its requirement to digitalize its engineering processes. The aim of this POC, applied to an actual case, was to demonstrate the feasibility of this tool and the significant gains it could deliver.
Within this framework, the client has appointed Assystem to provide advice and support for the deployment of Multi-D® among client teams.
- Production of technical specifications with ASE.
- Customisation of the tool used to train teams.
- Value analysis of the Multi-D® deployment to the overall trades processes. This study comprises various scenarios in order to support the client’s decision-making on its digitalization strategy.
- Hosting the solution within the IT infrastructure of Assystem. The solution was made available for client teams within their IT infrastructure via a VPN tunnel.
- Setting up an organisation for the project systems’ security and information.
Four Multi-D® modules have been customised within the frame of this project: requirements management, configuration management (and change management), documentation management and 2D/3D visualisation.
- Productivity gains between 33% and 43.2%, depending on the deployment scenarios of the Multi-D® tool.
- Time savings and easier access to data thanks to a single portal: the heart of Multi-D is the information management system that interfaces with all the other applications.
- Improving knowledge of the installation: Multi-D® has enabled a precise description of the installation configuration taking into account the update of data and enabling its 3D representation.
- Improving change management: post-design changes will be integrated in the virtual environment and implemented with Multi-D® ’s features.