Context and challenges
A major industrial city was born out of Saudi Arabia's ambition to develop the country through a pioneering and prosperous model of excellence in several significant sectors. This projects represents a world-class centre, comprising industrial and technological value chains.
The project, started a few years ago, took in several sectoral strategies (e.g. energy, agri-food, sport, etc.) and various regional strategies. A review and integration phase has been necessary to ensure that all sectors were aligned with each other and closely linked to the overall vision.
The industrial city will cover approximately 200-250 km² of surface area, with one part located on a sea coast.
In this context, this client, a company created for the development of the industrial city, has mandated Assystem to carry out an evaluation of the area, select the site and deliver site characterization services for the construction of the port.
- Report on the establishment of the port
- Context and client's needs for the port
- Surface geophysical studies :
- ERT (Electrical Resistivity Tomography)
- MASW (Multichannel Analysis of Surface Waves) (short array)
- MASW (long array)
- MAM (Microtremor Array Measurement)
- Seismic refraction
- Onshore drilling in 8 boreholes
- 35 SPT (Standard Penetration Test) at 8 onshore boreholes
- Topographical Studies
- Optic base drone survey and Orthophoto generation (resolution, 5 cm)
- Production of Digital Terrain Models (DTM)
- Contour data (0.5 m)
- Development of benchmark point
- Port Site Area Report
- Port Preliminary & Final Interpretative Report
- Construction of the port on schedule thanks to the accelerated delivery of the expected elements
- Creation of a database on the design of the port through the acquisition of the following recommendations and data:
- Data concerning the characterization of the site
- Advice for Foundations
- Recommendations for the initial work