Context and challenges
ITER is a major energy project to design and build the world's largest experimental fusion reactor to develop safe, limitless and environmentally friendly energy.
One of the overall objectives of ITER was to secure the planning and costs for the installation of the Tokamak complex, by carrying out integration engineering while ensuring a robust design that would allow the construction/installation of all the systems existing in the Tokamak complex.
To ensure this, ITER organization wanted to provide a reliable common assembly sequence, level by level and area by area, with input from all stakeholders, in order to minimize coactivity between construction teams and to better communicate on the construction stages.
In this context, ITER organization called on Assystem, through its subsidiary ECP, to implement a 4D planning solution. The team in charge of holistic integration was called upon to help secure the work schedule and costs for the installation of the Tokamak complex, by carrying out simultaneous integration engineering using 4D.
- Benchmarks of 4D planning tools, tests, benchmarking and recommendations
- Writing of 4D planning processes for the team in charge of holistic integration, contribution to the planning of the C-DWS (Common Assembly Sequence) by level and zone in order to minimize coactivities with the TB04 contract.
- Configuration & structuring of 4D models in Synchro Pro
- Implementation of 4D review reporting and time class analysis under Synchro ProSynchro Pro Team Training
- Coaching of planners and modellers and animation of the 4D review process
- Production of 4D simulations under Synchro Pro
- Conducting arbitration workshops to assess the impact of changes
- Change management (drafting of methodological notes and user support)
- Optimization of the Supply-chain and modeling of the site logistics with the help of detailed 4D logistics planning by visualizing the movement sequences of temporary equipment and the assignment of zones to work holders, as well as confirmation that the overall logistics planning is not subject to resource conflicts
- Better analysis of complex interfaces and identification of coactivity clashes in the 4D model, thanks to the automatic production of reports on time clashes on areas (storage, transit, works, security) with the spatial coordination function
- Improvement of the risks analysis of the execution of the building site thanks to the possibility of proposing different planning scenarios
- Involvement of all the actors in understanding the complex points of the construction and sharing the same vision of the project, with the production of video visual supports for reviews (export and sharing of the 4D model with Synchro Viewer)
- Improved communication between the planners and the designer and other stakeholders: a single digital tool to steer the planning and validate the operating mode