Senior ECoW / Ecologist
- Contracting /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all the UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies. Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.
By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management; Project Management; and Environmental Services.
We are recruiting for a Senior Ecologist / ECOW to join our talented Ecology team at Assystem. We support both major commercial developments through to major infrastructure projects providing relevant surveys, assessments, site-based support, biodiversity net gain and urban greening factor assessment.
Initially we require a Senior Ecologist to support our client on the construction of High Speed 2. You’ll be responsible for the co-ordination and management of the site-based Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW) team, additional ecology resources and sub-contractors required on site.
Responsibility for the input into and production of construction phase documents e.g. Project wide Ecological and Landscape Management Plan and Site-Specific Management Plans, Ecological method statements/risk assessments and protected species mitigation strategies.
Assist the Consent team/work with sub-contractors in obtaining Ecology Licenses, monitoring ecology their compliance and undertaking inspections.
Providing advice to the site production teams regarding ecological constraints and mitigation, toolbox talks, watching briefs and design implementation for habitat creation/site re-instatement works and to ensure compliance with the soil resource plan.
Also attending community forums to represent Assystem and the JV on ecological issues as highlighted in the Undertakings and Assurance of HS2
• The co-ordination and management of the site-based Ecological Clerk of Works (EcoW) team and additional ecology resources;
• Project/package management of subcontractors working on habitat and landscape management;
• Input into and production of construction phase documents and overseeing, in conjunction with the clients Head of Environment & Sustainability, the delivery of all measures detailed in the Site-Specific Environmental Management Plans and supporting method statements;
• Production and review of management plans, ecological method statements/risk assessments and protected species mitigation strategies and implementation;
• Site checks for protected and notable species;
• Ecological surveys prior to site clearance;
• Investigating and reporting on ecological incidents;
• Liaising with the clients core environment & sustainability and project management teams;
• Reviewing ECoW reporting and ecological appraisals;
• Production and delivery of toolbox talks to the production team and sub-contractors;
• Liaising with stakeholders and local authorities as required.
You’ll be an Ecology professional with experience gained across the construction/civil engineering areas ideally working across projects, coupled with experience of supervising ecology or ECoW teams.
You’ll be fully conversant with Producing ecological appraisals, method statements/risk assessments and protected species mitigation strategies and ensuring compliance with protected species licence requirements and environmental protection measures.
You’ll have demonstrable experience of delivery of habitat creation or site re-instatement works, coupled with broad experience of multiple environmental disciplines as well.
Membership of CIEEM or equivalent environmental organisation would be desirable.
A collaborator and influencer with stronger interpersonal skills.
Driving license is essential.
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.