Principal Electrical Engineer
- Contracting /
- On site
Assystem is an international company with one mission: accelerate the energy transition around the world.
Every day, our 6,500 switchers located in 12 countries (Europe, Middle East, Pacific Asia & Africa) connect their six thousand billion neurons to tackle the task of the century: switching to low-carbon energy.
We are a collective committed to the actors who are making the energy switch. Sharing our knowledge, expertise and values allows us to innovate and think differently about the energy transition.
Drawing on more than 55 years’ experience in highly regulated sectors subject to strict security and safety requirements, we provide our customers with engineering and project management services, as well as digital services and solutions to optimize the performance of complex infrastructure projects throughout their life cycle. The Group is currently ranked second in the world for nuclear engineering.
To ensure a viable, efficient, and reliable energy future for all.
Summary of the Role
The Electrical Design Engineer will be working as part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team within the Approving Authority, the primary purpose of the role is to directly support current operations and future programmes. Supporting nuclear facilities & the delivery of services across both Client Sites near Helensburgh
The team consists of Mechanical, Civil, Building Services or Electrical Engineers and are responsible for the authorship, development, assessment, and maintenance of Engineering Design Substantiation for Clyde Facilities, ensuring Design Intent, Critical Safety Factors and Safety and Operational Requirements are met and are consistent with current good practice and legislative/regulatory requirements
- Authoring, development, assessment, maintenance and management of the suite of Infrastructure Design Substantiation documents.
- Authoring, development, assessment, maintenance and management of design changes/concessions.
- Presentation of Design substantiations, to Clyde ‘Due Process’ safety committees
- Production and development of Examination, Inspection, Maintenance & Testing (EIMT) Schedule, operating procedures and results to satisfy design requirements and safety case through life.
- Producing Periodic Review of Safety reports.
- Providing advice and direction to internal and external stakeholders.
- Production of Independent Technical Review (ITA)/Independent Peer Review (IPR).
- Use a combination of general and specialist engineering knowledge and understanding to apply existing and emerging technology.
- Apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods to design, develop, manufacture, construct, commission, operate, maintain, decommission and re-cycle engineering processes, systems, services and products in a nuclear/high risk environment.
- Producing robust technical justification to allow for relevant civil/structural design modifications to be authorised within a high hazard industry.
- Review technical reports and other safety case submissions from external contractors.
- Check and review calculations and technical documents written by other members of staff.
- Knowledge of current design standards and working practices including British & European Standards.
- Theoretical and practical skill and experience across concept design, detailed design and construction stages across a range of electrical engineering projects (ideally including industrial and/or maritime).
- Experience in the design assessment of electrical plant and equipment to withstand hazards.
- Experience in the specification of electrical systems and components for both HV and LV electrical networks at both 50Hz and 60Hz.
- Experience of authoring and producing robust technical justification and supporting documentation to allow for relevant electrical design modifications to be authorised within a high hazard industry.
- Familiarity with industrial plant and machinery such as pumps, generators, HVAC, SCADA, PAVA Systems etc.
- Experience working on multi-discipline projects providing electrical engineering input (ideally within industrial and/or maritime).
- Ideal candidates would already have experience within a high-risk environment
- Familiarity with safety case development techniques e.g., HAZID/HAZOP studies.
- Experience of working in the UK nuclear industry (energy or defence), particularly in the design and assessment of safety-related structures, systems and components.
- Knowledge of UK and US nuclear industry regulation and practice, and application of relevant nuclear-specific codes and standards.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- BEng electrical engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) status or equivalent experience
- Safety case related training
Hybrid with occasional visits to Client site near Helensburgh and Glasgow offices
Security Clearance: SC, sole UK National
We are committed to equal treatment of candidates and promote, as well as foster all forms of diversity within our company. We believe that bringing together people with different backgrounds and perspectives is essential for creating innovative and impactful solutions. Skills, talent, and our people’s ability to dare are the only things that matter !. Bring your unique contributions and help us shape the future.